Op Shop Bounty

Uncategorized
Shell necklaces found in an op shop. I envisage these being taken apart and used to decorate textiles or baskets.

Shell necklaces found in an op shop. I envisage these being taken apart and used to decorate textiles or baskets.

There are a couple of op shops on my route home from meetings at Alexander Park Craft House and I often call in to one or the other to have a bit of a rummage around. This was my bounty from last week. The beads are made from shell – two of the necklaces are made from smoothed sort-of-rectangular beads and the other has perfectly round disks.

The sequin top has many more sequins on it than I could buy new for the same money. It needs about 3 stitches to secure a line of sequins which are starting to unravel but other than that this top could be worn – if I was half the size I am now! 🙂

This sequin top is WAAAY too small for me but I can use the sequins.

This sequin top is WAAAY too small for me but I can use the sequins.

I envisage all of these beads and sequins being useful embellishments on bags, baskets, vessels, or clothing that I make in the future.

 

Painted Papers – Overpainting

Uncategorized

Recently I picked out some of the less interesting previously painted papers and added more paint as well as creating some new papers. This photo shows all the papers painted that day.

Some papers were overpainted and some new papers were created.

Some papers were overpainted and some new papers were created.

 

 

 

 

 

 

This photo shows 4 uninteresting papers chosen for overpainting.

These 4 papers were chosen for overpainting with Turners Yellow. The papers at the top and on the right also had an orangey-red added.

These 4 papers were chosen for overpainting with Turners Yellow. The papers at the top and on the right also had an orangey-red added.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This is the result of overpainting the uninteresting papers. They are starting to become  a lot more interesting now.

These are the same papers overpainted with Turners Yellow. The papers at the top and on the right also had an orangey-red added. Now they are starting to become interesting.

These are the same papers overpainted with Turners Yellow. The papers at the top and on the right also had an orangey-red added. Now they are starting to become interesting.

Painted Papers – Earthy, Brown, Rust, Terracotta

Uncategorized
Various papers scrunched to make them more absorbent and create texture, and then painted with diluted acrylic paints.

Various papers scrunched to make them more absorbent and create texture, and then painted with diluted acrylic paints.

There is a tube of Burnt Umber that needs using too so after using it as is, I had a go at some other earthy colours by adding orange to the Burnt Umber. I need to create some more blues and purples to go with these too.

 

Painted Papers – Pthalo Blue

Uncategorized
Various acid free papers painted with Pthalo Blue. Sometimes I wet the paper first. Sometimes I scrunched the paper to get texture. The green was produced by painting over a paper which had previously been painted with Turner Yellow – all the other papers were white to start with.

Various acid free papers painted with Pthalo Blue. Sometimes I wet the paper first. Sometimes I scrunched the paper to get texture. The green was produced by painting over a paper which had previously been painted with Turner Yellow – all the other papers were white to start with.

I’m starting to love the process of creating painted papers! – if I’m not careful I will fill the house as I have lots of paper and lots of paint! I am learning a lot about the qualities of the various papers. How absorbent they are, how strong they are when wet, what they are like to “scrunch”, how the paint spreads or pools. It is definitely a fun activity.

More Painted Papers Orange/Yellow

Uncategorized
A variety of acid free papers painted with artists acrylic paints. Some were crumpled. Some painted wet, some painted dry. January 2015

A variety of acid free papers painted with artists acrylic paints. Some were crumpled. Some painted wet, some painted dry. January 2015

The Turners Yellow isn’t finished yet! I started with Turners Yellow and gradually added a different colour as I changed papers. The colour added is a mystery (might be iron oxide – it’s a sort of russet or rusty red) as it has lost it’s label. Which doesn’t stop me mixing colours with it of course. I think I’ve got enough reds/oranges to actually start forming a composition now. I think I need to create more blues/purples though to set them off.

A variety of acid free papers painted with artists acrylic paints. Some were crumpled. Some painted wet, some painted dry. January 2015

A variety of acid free papers painted with artists acrylic paints. Some were crumpled. Some painted wet, some painted dry. January 2015

Painted Papers – Binder Medium

Uncategorized
This was an experiment with using Binder medium to pick up already dried paint from the plastic protecting the desk.

This was an experiment with using Binder medium to pick up already dried paint from the plastic protecting the desk.

This is an experiment in using Binder Medium to pick up paint that has already dried on the plastic protecting the desk. I painted one sheet with full strength medium, laid it over the dry paint and used a brayer to press it down. On another sheet I painted the Binder medium over the dried paint and pressed the paper onto it. I also experimented with diluting the binder medium to see what difference that made.

This was an experiment with using Binder medium to pick up already dried paint from the plastic protecting the desk.

This was an experiment with using Binder medium to pick up already dried paint from the plastic protecting the desk.