It all started with a tube of Turners Yellow. I noticed that the cap was breaking up but there was still viable paint left in the tube. I succumbed to this distraction and went through the whole box – there were a few others with small amounts of paint left. I have been doing some collage lately and I decided this was serendipitous, as I could have fun making some papers for collage and cull my paint collection at the same time. So I collected a pile of different papers together on the basis of “if it’s acid free I’d be happy to use it in an artwork”. The papers I had on hand were: tissue, handmade Chinese, bank layout, light cartridge, tracing, light engineering, bond (80 and 70gsm), calligraphy and brown Kraft paper. I didn’t include the heavy weight art papers as I was looking to find strong but thin papers so that there wasn’t a distinct “step” which would throw a shadow once assembled. I wanted the papers to be absorbent so that the colour traveled through the paper and there wasn’t a distinct white edge when they were cut. For this reason I thinned the paint a lot. Some of the papers I scrunched up a few times and then flattened them out so they had a bit of texture and the paint could penetrate whatever coating was on the paper. It was great fun experimenting and later I started layering colours over previous colours. As I worked I kept coming up with different ways to put the paint on, sometimes I used a spritzer to wet the paper before adding paint, sometimes the paper was dry. Sometimes I sprizted water after painting. Some papers cockled a lot, the handmade Chinese paper absorbed a huge amount of colour and was as flat after painting as it was beforehand. It is also very strong for such a thin paper. These are the papers I have created over the past week or so.